Friday, November 23, 2007

Joey's 2nd ride in an ambulance

I'm so pissed off it's ridiculous!!! Long story short Jim opened up the gate that blocks the entrance into our bedroom. It's there because our bedroom is NOT child proof. Joey of course LOVEs to be in the room when he's allowed to and was in there in less than a second. Jim then leaves the room to go to the basement for a Thomas train or something that he'd seen down there. While he's in the basement Joey gets a hold of some Acetaminophen tablets that Jim has from the VA. They are 325mg tablets... some how he got the bottle open (probably wasn't on correctly in the first place as that's not a priority in Jim's life (getting things closed properly)) and I assume he thought it was candy and proceeded to eat at least one if not more. I really think it was just one tablet as he hated the taste of it and he's very picky about eating or drinking what he doesn't like the taste of.

I didn't have the number for poison control on hand, I know it's a bunch of 2's but there is another number in there somewhere to screw it up, so I called 911. They picked Joey and Jim up while I settled down, got Joshy together, diaper bag packed etc... and met up with them. I stayed for about 1.5hrs then thought I've got so much cooking to do for tomorrow, it's late and Joshy needs to be in bed, I'm going home and Jim can sit here with Joey (almost like a punishment) and maybe his ass will learn that when I say the gate is up for a friggen reason he'll HEAR what I say and take it to heart!

They drew blood on Joey at 8pm and will again at midnight. That's the peak time for the medication so they can then see how much is in his system and what to do to treat him or to release him. I'm sure he'll be released, I bet he ate no more than two which would not put him over the toxicity level for a 24hr period.

I met up with Jim and Joey and stayed for about an hour and a half. I was 100% positive that he was going to be just fine but they were going to keep him there for 2 blood draws 4 hrs apart. I had a baby who wanted to go to bed and food to cook for Thanksgiving so I left them there at the hospital and came home. Jim called when they were getting ready to draw his blood again. Joey was doing so well they decided to draw it early and see what they get. I have a feeling they were thinking along the same lines as I was. So about an hour later Jim called again and said they were releasing him. Apparently he didn't digest anything of the pills. Assuming he hated the taste of them so much he spit it out or wiped it out of his mouth and then wiped his hands on his clothes or his hair (his favorite hand cleaner is his head). The send draw came back zero so they were comfortable with releasing him.

He came home, went to bed (around 1am) and slept until 10am so he did pretty darn well!

No comments: